Wednesday 18 May 2011

A WALK BY THE RIVER

     Bored of what I usually do.  I decided to take a walk by the river.  I walked slowly, by its side, enjoying the cuddle of the wind.  I stood there, for a moment to watch it flowing away- waiting for none; not caring if anyone's passing through it or just walking by its side.  I watched it flowing and flowing with the same rhythm.  I wondered how deep it would be.  'Deep enough to drown you?' said my inner-self.  I stepped back, afraid.  The sun rays, reflected on the water, hit my eyes.  I shut them.  A dark cloak hugged me.  I moved back and opened my eyes.  I started my walk like before.
     'What are you doing?' a voice startled me.  I looked around, but there was no one.  'Its me, here,' the voice said again.  I looked at its direction and was surprised to look at the source of the voice.  It was river talking to me.  'I must have gone mad' I said to myself.  'No, son, you are not mad.' I stood there dumbstruck looking at the river.
     'Don't just stand there, son, looking at me,' it said in a smiling voice.  I stood there wondering what am I listening to.
     'Come to me, son,' it said again with the same cheerful voice.
     'Ha... you must be kidding.  I don't know how deep you are, I may drown in it,' I said looking at it.
     'Ha ha ha,' I heard the laugh and felt embarrassed.
     'If you just stand there wondering about my depth, you'll never know it.  Step in me to know my depth.  Don't be afraid to take the first step.'
     The words filled some courage in me.  I moved forward and tentatively stepped in it.  It wasn't very deep- it could immerse me up to my thighs.  That very feeling instantly brought smile to my lips.
     'You see, it isn't very deep, is it?' it asked.  I shook my head.  Even the flow of water, which felt like it could flood me away, wasn't that strong.
     As I started enjoying, the clouds moved away unmasking the sun; and no sooner it hit the water, the rays reflected in my eyes.  I shut them again.
     'What happened?' asked the river.
     'The rays of the sun, they are hurting my eyes,' I said, my eyes still shut.
     'It's a challenge, son,' it said. 'What challenge? It's hurting me,' I said irritatingly.
     'It hurts, if you give up, son, fight it,' it said.
     'I can't,' I said.  'Ha,' it scowled 'Don't just shut your eyes, open them, fight the meager challenge.  If you succeed, you'll see the brightness, splendid light, if you fail, try it again, if you give up, son, you'll be confined in the hug of darkness.'   I opened my eyes, the rays teased me again.  I splashed the water around me and opened the eyes.  The rays accepted its defeat and instead of hurting my eyes, it glorified the jumping water.  It again brought smile to my lips.
     'I still didn't understand one thing,' I asked river, 'How come you are talking to me? I thought rivers don't speak.'
     It laughed again.  'I'm not a river.  I'm Life!' it said 'I've been shouting my lungs out, but you never paid attention to me.  So, I had to teach you this lesson of living life this way.'
     'Don't forget to enjoy your life, Son,' were the last words, it said before everything fell silent.

     Life's a flowing river friends.  Don't just walk by it, wondering about it's depth.  There are only three rules to lead a happy life.
     i) Take the first step towards life-  Don't just keep guessing about it's complexity.  It may appear as a maze from a distance but it gets simpler with each step taken towards it.
     ii) Fight the challenge, Don't give up-Life is just about discovering yourself and the world around.  For that, life throws many challenges at you.  Don't be afraid to try again, if you fail once.  Life gives you many chances, don't think, you lost your world, if you face defeat once.  Keep trying.  You lose your world only when you give up and what you win, then, is the darkness all around you. So don't give up.
     iii) Enjoy your life- don't forge, though you get many chances in life, you get only one life to live.  The best way to make that one chance count is by enjoying it to fullest.
To describe this in one line, I need to take the help of a poet: Don't just pass through your life, live it

No comments:

Post a Comment

WriteUp Cafe - Together we Write Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs